what this means to me

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

My Top 5 Favorite Bands!

#5.) Bring Me The Horizon

This is the first band that got me into metalcore (often referred to as screamo) music. Their album "There is a hell believe me I've seen it, there is a heaven let's keep it a secret" was one of the first albums I bought that I actually got really excited about and gave me self confidence, I bought the deluxe edition that came with the T shirt and I wore it to school all of my "Emo" friends loved it but of course there was one asshole at school that bullied me for wearing it because there was a man on the front without a shirt on holding up a dagger in one hand and a set of keys in the other hand, he's also wearing a mask and his robe is half black & half white. 

Obviously the whole thing is symbolic and is also the cover of the album but this dumbass was too dense to see that and just saw a half naked man  (which would make HIM the gay one) not that that even matters anyway... LOVE IS LOVE

Anyway I love BMTH and I always will, but I'm not a big fan of their newest album... in my opinion they've sold out and went pop. I do however find that the newest album "that's the spirit" is quality music and has some shouting in it which kind of stays true to their vocals roots but I don't think they are using their drummer or guitarist to their fullest advantage


In short however, Bring Me The Horizon are an amazingly talented band and you should check them out!

#4.) All Time Low
 I first heard about All Time Low through Bryan Stars (if you don't know he's an interviewer of bands on YouTube) the first song I heard was "I Feel Like Dancing" which at first I HATED and then grew to love and eventually hate again because it sounded so poppy. But all in all I've come to the conclusion that they're making fun of themselves, their genre and most of all POP MUSIC. In the video it shows the pressure to "stay hip with the kids" when you get signed to a record label and their manager/head of the record label says "YOU ARE MY PUPPETS YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY!"

But that's not their only song, there is the amazing, AMAZING album "nothing personal" which has many of my favorite all time low songs including one I am currently trying to learn on the guitar called "Weightless" which starts with the lyrics "Manage me I'm a mess... turn a page, I'm a book half unread" who couldn't relate to that?! such a good song and I can honestly tell you from learning it on guitar the guitar work is simple but brilliant!

Out of all of the pop punk bands I've listened to... All Time Low are forever my favorite and I've listened to a lot of pop punk (growing up it was 'uge) from Greenday to Blink 182, to fall out boy to yellowcard to Sum 41 the list could go on... give them a listen and I think you'll agree they are a very catchy pop that hits you with really heavy almost metal riffs and a killer rhythm section.

#3.) The Spill Canvas
ahhhh The Spill Canvas... an almost undesribably talented band. With uncomprobly deep lyrics and extrmely expressive instrumental backing of those lyrics this band takes the Emo CROWN. imo they beat out bright eyes, they smother My Chemical Romance and they anhillate bands like the exies and brand new as far as the Emo genre. YOU DON'T KNOW EMO until you've heard THESE GUYS.  

Nick aving written my all time favorite lyric which is "We all flirt with the tiniest notion, a self-conclusion in one simplified motion... but you see the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it, no matter how unbearable this misery gets" (taken from the song "Self-Conclusion") The Spill Canvas write some of the best lyrics I have ever heard (bright eyes comes in a close 2nd) other examples are "Heaven's not a place that you go when you die... it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive" taken from their song "the tide" 

The Spill Canvas will wake up the angelic demon that rests within your soul and make you feel so related to when you're depressed that you will want to shout "I WANT TO LIVE FOREVER!" from the rooftops. With a perfect mix of ballad like acoustic chords and heavy punk pop riffs they will take you to hell and back and they're so good you'll love every minute of it even the hell parts!

Speaking of to hell and back coming in at #2 is...


BLESSTHEFALL!!!!!!
#2.) blessthefall
 If you ask me who my favorite singer is I will forever say Beau Bokan... and I've heard a lot of seriously killer singers in my years... From Kellin Quinn to Bert Mccrackin to Conor Oberst to Nick Thomas and Alex Gaskarth pound for pound none of them are a match for the amazing vocals of Beau Bokan AND, not to mention, Jared Warth (Beau sings and Jared Screams and plays bass guitar) and what a treat that is... SERIOUSLY it's like hearing all of the religious paintings depicting heaven & hell right in your headphones... Beau is a melodic angel singing beautiful lyrics of hope and Jared is the angry Demon screaming about his angst and anxiety about this world.

Then you have the guitar dueling of Elliot Gruenberg and Eric Lambert and let me tell you the solo's will send you for a loop while the Chunky djent breakdowns will pound you in the heart and keep you BEGGING for more

And the drum beats from Matt Traynor will blast you into outer space while awakening the metal beast from within the ground who will then send himself into outer space by listening to blessthefall I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore because I love this band so much CHECK THEM OUT!!!!

and last but not least is...

#1.) The Used!!!!!
I don't even feel worthy of explaining my love for this band. They saved me and pumped me up out of my depression since I was really young with their song "take it away" which I get multiple interpretations from... they could mean "take it away" as in take my life away, they could mean "take it away as in "let's rock!" they could mean "take it away" as in take away the pain I am feeling.

but they have so many other songs close to my heart as well... the song "the bird and the worm" from what I could find on the web is about Bert's Brother's battle with schizophrenia hence the lyric "mid day delusions are pushing this out of his head maybe out of his mind" the song "Pretty Handsome Awkward" seems to sum up the way I feel when I try to cheer up someone that's clearly going through depression, my friends or even my family "Hey, are you OK? you look pretty low... very handsome awkward"  not to mention the opening intro to that song on guitar (and the whole song) but especially the guitar work is so killer that they used the song in the transformers movie! although I think it's a cardinal sin that they left out the vocals in that movie.

I could go on about their lyrics which I think are really under-rated for how much depressed people can relate to them... but the last song I will talk about is the song "Hospital" from the album "Lies for the liars" this song completely sums up how it feels having to go to a mental hospital. "this feeling never leaves you alone, you pull the trigger on your own... you're hiding in your safe place, hiding with your eyes shut tightly on your way to the hospital... how will you ever rest your head? you end up feeling mostly DEAD pretending you're the last one hiding with your eyes shut tightly on the way to the hospital" and then the lyric I scribbled in sharpie in my art book "BEFORE I CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO DIE AT ALL, I'LL TAKE OFF MY MASK AND LEAVE THE LIES TO THE LIARS!!!!" this song is actually what got me OBSESSED with the used. I heard it on pandora and from then on I was a mega fan they really really put into song an expreience that is hard to talk about or even describe. kudos to the used!!!

The bassist is one of my all time favorite members of the band, he just lays it down like nobody's business... he SLAYS on the bass!!!!

Most inspiring about the used is Bert Mccrackin's struggle with drugs, meth in particular. I honestly think he should write a book for all of us fans. I would treasure that book with my life. Bert and the used are badass! I love them so much!!!!!!! They fuse all genre's from Emo to Punk to Pop to Rock to Heavy Metal to Ska to R&B to reggae they are the ultimate band, at least for me...

Here are some YouTube Links to some of their most under-rated songs... A box full of sharp objects Hospital Cut up angels The ripper Let it bleed Wake the dead 


No comments:

Post a Comment